If you or your parents are wearing sanitary pads, pantyliners or adult diapers for ‘just in case’ moments of urinary leakage, here’s why you should consider stopping. Wearing hygienic pads are like band-aid – it will not treat the issue and worse still, lead to other side effects.
Here’s why you shouldn’t use hygienic pads for urinary leakage or incontinence:
- They cause skin irritations which could get real serious
Worn over a long time, an unclean or a dried out pad can cause localised allergic reaction leading to irritation, itching and uneasiness. Poor genital hygiene is also an important factor for the development of dysplasia and cervical cancer – it could get real serious.
- You’re training yourself to become more reliant on them
Neuromuscular control is when the brain talks to the body for a muscle reaction. Continued wear of hygienic pads will train yourself to become more reliant on them and lower the chance of recovery.
Research has shown that wearing adult diapers increases the rate of accidents and decreases the rate of successful voids. Psychologically, your mind knows that you have support, so holding it, or trying to hold it becomes less urgent.
- You’re not breaking the vicious cycle
With long term wearing of pads to manage incontinence, it’s normal to feel less confident. This commonly causes social withdrawal, decreased physical activity and increased risk of depression which leads to long term sequela which worsens the situation.
What can you do to avoid leakage or stop it?
You can take steps to avoid using adult diapers, lessen the time you’ll need them or stop it totally. Here are some common ways:
- Check with your doctor for medication to reduce overactive bladder
- Reduce caffeine and alcohol intake or other diuretics
- Manage fluid intake, avoiding fluids 2-3 hours before bedtime
- Keep a bladder diary to note down bladder irritants
- Perform pelvic floor exercises regularly or visit Orchard Clinic for simple ways to get it fixed
Articles that may interest you
Orchard Clinic is a specialised centre for Postnatal and Postpartum conditions, helping clients achieve healthy and pain-free lifestyles.
302 Orchard Road
Tong Building #09-01A
Tel: 65 6235 4560
Coming soon in 2021
Tel: 65 6235 4560
18 Jalan Masjid
Kembangan Plaza, #B1-07
Tel: 65 6741 8911
|Monday to Saturday||9am to 6pm|
|Sunday & Public Holidays||Closed|